The Personal Financial Capability program empowers our clients to gain the financial knowledge and skills they need to develop a financial plan that will support their goals for today and in the future. Personal Financial Coaching provides the confidence they need to create financial security while helping to uncover choices in the way they think about their finances.
The EEC’s Financial Education program helps clients manage their income, expenses and debt, create a household budget, establish short and long-term financial goals, and make positive financial changes. We offer financial education workshops on a variety of topics and individual financial coaching for greater impact. We partner with other local agencies and employers to offer on-site workshops and services.
- Individual Financial Coaching
- Your financial coach will work with you to create and review your budget, formulate a financial action plan, establish short- and long-term financial goals, and review your credit report.
- Financial Education Workshops
- To complement and support our Personal Financial Coaching, we offer financial education workshops in a group setting on a variety of topics. Sample topics include:
- Money Management
- Family Budgeting
- Banking Products and Services
- Saving for an Emergency
- How to Use and Manage Credit
- How to Read a Credit Report
- How to Prevent Identity Theft
- How to Be an Informed Consumer: Smart Shopping Tips and Tricks
- Right and Responsibilities for a Renter
We partner with other local agencies and employers to offer on-site workshops and services. If you would like to offer a workshop at your location please give us a call.
Contact Information: Liz Krebs • 203-368-5537 • ekrebs@LifeBridgeCT.org
VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and the elderly and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
Tax preparation services are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY: To make an appointment you must call and leave a message on the VITA Tax Hotline at 203-368-5524.
- Schedule and Hours
- Tax preparation services are offered from late January until early April each tax year. Services are offered on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings by appointment only.
- What to Bring to Your Local VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) or TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) Site
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse, and dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2 and/or 1099) from ALL jobs worked
- Any other income information (Pensions, Unemployment, Social Security) or IRS notices received
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Contact Information: Gloria Caesar • 203-368-5545 • gcaesar@LifeBridgeCT.org