We move individuals and families from crisis to stability in their daily life, making it possible for them to pursue financial, educational training, and employment goals.
The Community Closet is located in the basement of the LifeBridge main building located at 475 Clinton Avenue, Bridgeport CT 06605
The Community Closet shopping hours are Monday and Wednesday 9am-2pm, Tuesday and Thursday 12pm–3pm and the first Wednesday of each month 4pm–6pm. Donations will only be accepted on Tuesday and Thursday 9am-12pm and Friday 9am-3pm.
Persons interested in becoming shoppers at The Community Closet must have a written referral from a partner agency that determines family need. Referrals are valid for two years and may be renewed by the issuing agency. Shoppers are allowed to shop once a calendar month.
The Community Closet would not be possible without the generous support of numerous donors who bring their gently used clothing and household goods to The Closet.
- Items We Accept
- Seasonably appropriate, current fashions for men, women and children; baby clothes and school uniform apparel, e.g., khaki pants, skits, jumpers and polo shirts are especially neededOuterwear; coats, jackets, hats, gloves, scarves, and new or slightly worn shoes and boots
- Accessories – shoes, belts, scarves and costume jewelry
- Unopened perfume, cosmetics and toiletriesBed linens, table linens, blankets, towels, curtains, fabric, etc
- Baby and children’s equipment in compliance with current safety standards such as car seats, cribs, strollers, high chairs, and playpens
- Small household goods and appliances
- Toys, including clean stuffed animals
- Artwork, housewares, books, toys, complete games and puzzles (please make sure games and puzzles are taped shut)
- Holiday items, decorations, unopened gifts
- CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, video games, books on tape/CD
- Furniture: only small items such as end tables, small chairs no larger than a wing chair, plant stands, etc. Please call first to make sure we have room.
- Items We Don’t Accept
- Large items of furniture
- Appliances and electronics that require an electrical outlet
- House paint and pesticides
- Please be selective when donating. We are dedicated to providing high quality items to our customers. Be sure that all clothing items and linens are clean and free from odors, stains and tears.
- Summer clothes accepted April 15 – July 31. Winter clothes accepted September 1 – March 31. The Community Closet will be closed for maintenance the first two weeks of January, April and August.
- We cannot pick up items and do not arrange delivery. A tax receipt is provided, however, the donor is responsible for establishing the value of donated items.
Contact Information: Karen Seferi • 203-368-5624 • kseferi@LifeBridgeCT.org
OPERATION FUEL INTAKE SITE GUIDELINES
Operation Fuel is a private, statewide nonprofit program that provides emergency energy assistance to lower-income working families and elderly residents.
- Clients must have one of the following:
- Shut-off notice
- No utility service
- Need assistance making a required payment in order to keep a payment arrangement.
- Have a past-due balance of 30 days or more.
- Client must not have received an Operation Fuel grant during the previous 12-month period in which they are applying. If client has received the HIPP grant of $1000 from the eviction prevention programs administered at LifeBridge Community Services, then they are not eligible for a 3-year period.
- Client has made at least 4 payments within the previous 12-months and one of the payments must have been made during the winter months. Client cannot make the 4 payments within one month. They must show a pattern of payments.
- Household income cannot exceed 60% of the State Medium Income.
- The maximum amount of the grant is $500.
- All final approvals and payments are made by Operation Fuel staff; not LifeBridge Community Services.
- Client must provide a shut-off notice, or utility bill that is 30 days past due.
- Client must provide a payment history provided by the utility company.
- Client must provide documentation of income of all household members. Earned income must be within the last 4 weeks.
Services provided by appointment only; no walk-ins allowed.
Please contact Elizabeth Selkis, 203-368-5594 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Information: Maxine Boykin • 203-368-5543 • mboykin@LifeBridgeCT.org